What’s behind these unhealthy worries?
- It is related to our Fear of the future, our own inadequacy, negative consequences that might happen, and ultimately pain and death
- It is us trying to gain Control of the unpredictable and unsafe world that we feel we live in
- It pertains to our Image, wanting to be perceived by the world as we wish; and desiring to see ourselves as we want to be seen, often “Perfect”
What can we do about our worries?
- Distinguish between worries that is irrational and counterproductive vs real and goal-directed worries
- Learn to listen to what our worries is trying to teach us about the situation or problem
- Relinquishing our illusions of control, accepting our relative powerlessness over life and death, and accepting ourselves as we are
Some practical steps that we can take to relieve our worries or anxiety:
- Positive Thinking – Look for the opportunity instead of the negative
- Task Oriented – Set your mind on the goals and tasks at hand. Feel good about your efforts and accomplishments
- Accept Yourself – Don’t be self-critical. If there is something you want to change, then change it. If you don’t know how, get help
- Be Flexible – Not everything is black and white. Be open to the grey area of things.
- Be Present – Worry is the act of becoming immobilized in the present moment as a result of things that are going, or are not going, to happen in the future. Live in the moment, focus on what’s happening now!
- Nurture Yourself – Take care of yourself, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Take time to regularly do activities that you enjoy and be with people who build you up